How to Help Your Child Overcome Their Fear of Doctors?
So, it’s that time again for your child to overcome their fear of doctors and visit the doctor and we’re guessing you’re on this post looking for tips on how to avoid a major meltdown in the middle of the waiting room. Well, you’ve come to the right place! Here at the Sunshine Medical Centre, we know many children have a fear of doctors. So we’ve gathered some of our favourite tips for a stress-free visit for you and your family.
Very few of us look forward to doctor appointments. Kids can become very scared of even stepping foot into a clinic and have a fear of doctors. Top tips on how to combat your child’s fear of doctors:
- You, as the parent and/or guardian, should explain why they need to go to the doctor and what will happen once they’re there. It also helps to explain to them what the different instruments doctors use are, such as the stethoscope (e.g. helps listen to their heartbeat and may feel a little cold). Purchasing a toy doctor’s kit or a teddy dressed as a doctor can also help ease their minds of what to anticipate.
- Kids are scared of separation, especially left alone with someone they’ve never met (in this case, the doctor). Make sure to always reassure them that you will be with them the entire time and will even hold their hand if they’re feeling extra scared. If your child sees that you’re comfortable in that environment, then your child will also feel more at ease.
- The main worry that kids think about is whether or not they’ll have to get a shot. Assure them that it will only hurt for a split second and you will be by their side the entire time. Even letting them sit on your lap may calm them down and allow them to feel more secure. You might even consider bringing in some fun stickers to reward them for being so brave afterwards.
- Bring in distractions. Waiting rooms can be a scary place for kids, so bringing in their favourite stuffed animal or toy can help distract them. This will provide them with some comfort and less fear of doctors.
- Reward! After each doctor’s visit, make sure to shower them with love and praise for their bravery. Providing them with a reward, such as going out for ice cream or to the park afterwards. This can allow them to connect every doctor’s appointment with a positive experience.
Going to the doctor is always going to be a scary thought for them. However, be sure to let them know it’s necessary in order to keep them happy and healthy.
Going through these tips may help them manage their anxiety a little better, and hopefully, in the future, it will be a stress-free experience for everyone involved. This will reduce your child’s fear of doctors.
Our Sunshine Pediatrics clinic provides expert medical services for children. We understand your family’s health is the most important issue to you, and this is why our Sunshine medical clinic takes pride in providing comprehensive medical advice and treatment for kids.
Help your child overcome their fear of doctors and we provide the following services:
- Childhood Illnesses
- Childhood Immunizations
- 4 Year Old Healthy Kids Checks
Our expert vaccines doctor will make immunizing your kids a stress-free experience.
Contact Sunshine Medical Centre here to book an appointment. We look forward to welcoming you and your family into our clinic!